Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Probiotics : Which one to choose?

Today, I would like to share with all of you, my views and opinions about probiotics supplements. A lot of people asked me "Is Vitagen and Yakult good?". Some of my friends also not sure if single strain probiotic is an ideal choice for our gut flora. Bear in mind, today's post, is NOT about promoting any specific brands as I'm not paid to do any form of advertising for any supplement companies.

First of all, do take note that our gut flora, does not consists of only one or two strains of beneficial (good) bacteria. Our gut flora, has alot of different strains of this little microorganisms. There are tons of probiotic supplements which sells one or two strains. What really ticks me off, are beverage manufacturers, such as Yakult and Vitagen, claiming that their beverage products has good bacteria and beneficial for our gut health. What a joke! Does any of you realize how much of sugar is in those beverages? Sugar feeds 'bad' bacteria, as well as fungal and parasite. Not to mention sugar accelerate growth of cancer cells. If a beverage so called has a single strain of beneficial bacteria, and at the same time contains high amount of sugar which feeds bad bacteria, how does this even sounds? I let you folks do the math here. 

I know tons of parents encourage and bought Yakult and Vitagen for their kids at home overdose with these so called probiotic drinks. Thinking that it healthy and can benefit their kids GI health? You got to be kidding me! I'm not going to write a long post today about gut flora, as I may find time to write about it some other day. Attached picture is a sample of one of the probiotic supplements I personally use it for my daily supplementation of 'good' bacteria. There are tons of other good ones out there, but sadly in Malaysia, only very few limited brands are available and sold. Remember, always look for the most strains in any probiotic supplements, ideally 16 strains and above. Daily consumption should not more then 15 billions (adults) and taking 30 or 50 billions per day of probiotics will not make you a healthy homo sapien. Well, the best way to get your good bacteria and maintain a healthy gut flora, is from fermented foods, different types of fermented foods, as often as you could, preferably few times per week or daily, and avoid any foods or drinks which are contaminated with antibiotics, prescription drugs, stress and toxins. All these substances and factors kill your good bacteria, and that causes dysbiosis of the intestinal health. 

Stay away from commercial eggs, milk, and meats which are the primary sources of antibiotics. If you must eat these animals products, ensure they are organic, free range and antibiotic free. Of course, antibiotics prescribed by doctors will definitely damage severely your GI and immune health, thus imbalance of gut flora. Manage your stress better and reduce your toxins load. Your gut flora is your key to stronger immunity and better health.



- 18 strains probiotics -



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this post. I was addicted to vitagen and would sometimes drink up to 3 bottles per day. I thought it was a healthy drink. But now I know better that it does no purpose. Now I'm addicted to it due to the high sugar content.

    ReplyDelete