Sunday, December 8, 2013

Table salt : The link to autoimmune disease?

Do you often have cravings for salt or salty foods? Do you know what is in table salt? Could it be your body telling you something is wrong if you have regular cravings for salt? I remember when I was a young boy, I had insane cravings for salt or salty foods. I would eat it like there is no tomorrow. I ate tons of junk foods which consist high amount of table salt. Back in my teenage years, I was skinny and malnutrition. My parents did not know what to do nor get me to eat healthier. 

Fast forward to present day, thank god I know much more about health and nutrition and how the body function physiologically. Whenever I have slight craving for salt, I know instantly what my body is telling me, giving me signs of what is happening and what I should be aware of. Rarely I have salt cravings, but for any of you who might be often cravings for salt or salty foods, you may proceed to read below information. 

Not too long ago, there are 3 new studies which linked table salt with autoimmune disease. Autoimmune disorders have become more prevalent and more people are suffering from this medical complication. Personally, I have met quite a number of people who developed autoimmune disease in my country, the place where I stay. 

Now, most people thought salt is just salt. Just like a commercial apple is the same with organically grown apple right? Of course not. Most of us eat outside, restaurants, hawkers foods, fast foods and even so called 'home cooked foods' restaurants. Do you know easily more then 98% of these food outlets are using table salt? Furthermore, the beverage products you drink at restaurants such as soft drinks and fresh fruit juices, actually contains high amount of table salt. Apart from that, the food products we purchase from the supermarkets and convenient stores are loaded with table salt too. 



Why Do I crave for salt or salty foods?
- Body deficient or depleted of trace minerals
- Adrenals disorders


Types of salt to avoid:
- Table salt
- Iodized salt


Type of salt to consume:
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Rock Salt
- Celtic Sea Salt


Hidden facts & dangers of table salt consumption:
Table salt consist of sodium and chloride, basically only 2 minerals instead of more then 80 minerals found in most rock or sea salt products. It is known that approximately 97.5% to 98% of the table salt contains sodium chloride. The rest of the ingredients contain anti caking agents and other chemicals. Then it has to go through a high temperature heating process of 1200 degrees, and that altered the chemical structure of the salt, which in turn, not able to recognize by the human body. Thus, the body identify table salt as 'foreign substance'. In terms of food, table salt is useless. It requires a whole lot of energy by the human body to break down and metabolize the crystals of the salt. It upset the body's fluid systems and impair the elimination pathways as well. Check this out. For every gram of sodium chloride your body unable to get rid of, your body uses up to 23 times the amount of cell water to neutralize it. 


Benefits of high quality natural occuring salt:
- Alkalise the body
- Stimulate body's detoxification system
- Help in weight lost
- Prevent minerals imbalances & depletion
- One of the most healing foods on the planet
- External application on skin - Improve skin condition and also help improve skin disorders
- Reduce blood pressure (contains half less sodium then table salt)
- Help regulate melatonin and seratonin levels at night for better sleep quality, also helps on depression. (consume with water at night)
- Support respiratory systems
- Prevent muscle spasms
- Builds strong bones
- Good for the teeth, helps re-mineralize and aid healing process









Journals: 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23467095
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23467089
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23467085


No comments:

Post a Comment