Sunday, November 14, 2010

Whey Protein

I just bought Whey protein powder for my colleague last week. I just thought writing about whey protein would be useful for those who is enthusiast about bodybuilding or even sport athletics. Almost everyone who is trying to build muscles or into bodybuilding, tend to consume protein supplements such as whey. The question is, does anyone know any truth in whey protein supplements sold in the market? 

Yesterday, I just wrote about one of the protein supplements (MuscleTech) which is available in the market. What is your favourite brand? Optimum Nutrition? Gaspari Nutrition? Horleys? EAS? GNC? There are tons of manufacturers promoting and selling their products competing against each other. But, how do you know which is the right one to buy? Some of my friends asked me if Soy Protein a good source of protein for muscle building. Some would ask if casein if a good source of protein. How about whey protein isolate or concentrate? 

Lets talk about the facts of whey protein supplements/powders available in the bodybuilding or health stores. First of all, whey protein is indeed a very high quality source of protein. It has a number of benefits to the body and not only for muscle building. But, most people don't know that most whey protein powder supplements sold in the market are derived from 'commercial cows'. What does that tells you? No idea? Well, whey is derived from cow's milk. Now, to all the wanna-be bodybuilders out there, you might want to pay attention here. 

There are low quality and high quality whey protein products out there in the market. Most of the whey protein products are derived from 'sick unhealthy cows' milk'. Which means commercial cows being fed synthetic hormones, antibiotics, fed with dead animals and possibly GM grains such as corn and soy. You would be naive enough to think that the whey protein powder you bought, are derived from organic free range grass fed cows. Yes, there are few brands selling whey protein powders which derived from free range cows which are not contaminated with synthetic growth hormones. The problem is, these good quality whey products are not available in Malaysia. 

Let's discuss about whey isolate. Most of my friends tell me that whey isolate is the one that I should be looking forward to purchase. Is that right? There are a number of whey products on the market, but unfortunately many of them will not give you the health benefits associated with high quality whey. Most commercial whey products are derived from pasteurized dairy and are processed with heat and acid. Many are also artificially sweetened. All of these factors render them completely useless from a health perspective. Whey isolate is one such inferior product, because when you remove the fat, you actually remove important components of its immunological properties, such as phospholipids. Additionally, all of the immunoglobulins, which are an excellent source of glutamine and cysteine, are also bound to the fat globule.

Has any of you remember the post I wrote about pasteurized milk? Yes, you can't get any health benefits from commercial whey which derived from pasteurized dairy and unhealthy cows. This applies the same with whey concentrate. When selecting a whey product, I strongly recommend making sure it's made from raw, grass fed milk, in order to obtain the majority of its immune enhancing benefits. Raw milk from healthier cows, preferably organic cows. 

Below are some of the guidelines on how to choose whey products:
  • Organic (no synthetic hormones) 
  • Grass-fed (free range)
  • Made from unpasteurized (raw) milk 
  • Cold processed, since heat destroys whey's fragile molecular structure 
  • Minimally processed 
  • Rich, creamy, full flavor 
  • Water soluble 
  • Sweetened naturally, not artificially (most whey products have toxic artificial sweeteners)

Meanwhile, I hereby provide the health benefits of whey protein (high quality source) as below.
  • Helping your insulin work more effectively, which helps maintain your blood sugar level after a meal.   
  • Helping to promote your optimal intake of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals needed for your overall wellness. 
  • Supporting your immune system, as it contains immunoglobulins. 
  • Helping you preserve lean body tissue as it delivers bioavailable amino acids. 
  • Maintaining blood pressure levels that are already within the normal range.

Finally, before I logout, AVOID this protein product MonsterMilk (available in Malaysia) at all cost. It ticks me off by just reviewing the 'harmful' ingredient listed on the package itself. I don't have any grudge against Cytosport, but I just came across this product recently and I had to bring this out. Yeah right, 50g of protein per serving.

Ingredients which are not supposed to be in the product are as below:

Calcium sodium caseinate - Excitotoxins, MSG
Canola Oil - GM food source.
Maltodextrin - MSG
Fructose - Bad sugar
Natural flavors - Contains MSG
Fructo-Oligosaccharides - Mainly fructose components.
Carageenan - Contains MSG
Sucralose - Initially derived from a formula used for insecticide! A toxin!





8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I came across this article while searching for protein products. I'm a runner and I need protein to help me in my recovery. I used to take Amway products but after reading your article I'm becoming skeptical of buying from them again. Which protein product would u recommend me (which brand) & where can I buy it from in klang valley?
    I'm also taking fish oil for the health of my joints (Udo's oil), what's your take on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, before I would to provide you the proper advise on protein intake, I need more details about yr training(running)routines, lifestyle, diet, weight and height, basically deep dive into your lifestyle prior to determining how much protein you need daily. But, in a nutshell, as a enthusiast runner, it is vital to have sufficient protein consumption, and we are talking about clean high quality protein sources, and not commercial protein supplements.

    To be honest, I have found none of the commercially available protein supplement sold in Malaysia to be ideal source. But there are few good protein supplements sold overseas which are free from pesticides, excitotoxins, artificial flavoring and sweeteners.

    My advise, unless you can get clean quality protein powder supplements, I would highly recommend you go for 'real food' sources such as animal based foods, preferably organically grown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gene,
    Thanks for your reply. Actually i run 10-15km daily, and i normally take 3 meals per day. Breakfast: Cereals + Banana + Bread + Nutella. Lunch: Rice + Vegetables + some meat (fish/chicken). Sometimes I just eat vegetables, fruits & nuts for lunch. Dinner: Steam fish, rice, vegetables & fruits(oranges). In between, i will take chocolate snacks eg cadbury or biscuits. My weight 69.5kg, Height 180cm. During tough training sessions, I find that my muscles take longer time to recover, thus I resort to some protein supplements eg Amway last time. I was considering Whey Cool by Designs for Health & Dream Protein by Wellness Watchers. What do you think? However, I have absolutely no idea where to buy from in Klang Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jerem,

    It's kinda hard to explain here. Give me yr email, I will try to provide you some advise and nutrition tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, my email is jeremcheah@gmail.com.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jerem,

    Sent you email with some advise, hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, this weekend is fastidious for me, because this moment i am reading
    this impressive informative article here at my residence.



    My page - organic vanilla whey protein

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Gene. I'm quite busy with my work and hardly to prepare clean diet / real food for my meal. So, i start to consume whey powder in order to build muscles and get toned body. Quite shocked when i saw ur article which introduced by my fren. Can I get some advises from you? Thank you

    ReplyDelete